Monday, November 5, 2012

Travel Plans Coming Soon!


Dear Family,
This week has flown by and I'm not sure really what to say. It's difficult because I think I know what to say, then I get to the computer and I have no clue. The language is good. I'm just keeping on going through with it. It's fun actually now because I'm starting to get a little better. I can usually say what I want here at the MTC. I've challenged myself, made a goal, and wrote it down (because that's the biggest part) to speak only Hiligaynon. There was a point last week when I went for about 4 straight hours of speaking it. I know that I can do it, it just gets really hard when there is something that I want to say so bad, but I'm just not sure how, then I say one thing in English, and then... more English comes out. So, right now I'm going to try and do Hiligaynon only.
How is everyone at home? Mom, sorry about the Halloween issues at school. You know how parents are there. Just do your best and ignore them. I mean, Halloween isn't really a holiday, it's a tradition. So no big deal, you should be okay :) Glad to hear that all the sports are going great! Fun to see you guys doing so well. Basketball should be starting soon right? Ashlyn, sit in a chair and dribble the ball between your legs without looking. It'll help with ball control and knowing where the ball is without seeing it. That was a good thing that I did, also the spider drill. Youtube it and that will help you as well. Sam, do you do winter sports? Or is futsol starting up soon? How's Syd's gymnastics going?
Well, I should be getting my travel plans sometimes this week. Probably Thursday or Friday. I'm super stoked and can't wait to get to the Philippines. I have no idea what to expect, but I know that the Lord will take care of me. My prayers are getting a lot better and I'm learning more and more each day about myself. I love this work. Yesterday in fast and testimony there was an Elder who said that our job is probably the greatest job that we can ever have right now! I was thinking to myself, YEAH! This is a super amazing job. Then last night when one of the members of the District Presidency spoke, he said that we missionaries now are going to be the ones that are going to train the upcoming missionaries! I'm pretty excited, but I guess we'll see how that goes.
Does anyone know how Elder Garner is doing? I have no contact with him, so if someone would let me know that'd be great. This morning in the temple I saw Bennett Forward! I was in the locker room and I was like, DUDE! How you doing? Anyway, it was good to see him. Also this week one of my Utah State buddies got here and I ran into him, Greg Jensen, well Elder Jensen now. It's really nice to see friends in here making great decisions to serve the Lord. I"m glad that I made the decision and I wouldn't have it any other way.
So last week I told you that I finished the Book of Mormon and I've already started over. I'm in Alma 4 now. Hopefully will finish by the time my plane lands in Manila. The Book of Mormon is great. It's also a great tool. Something I learned this week about the Book of Mormon is that before Joseph Smith was given any other instruction on what to do, he was to translate the Book of Mormon first. I never knew that, but it makes sense! The Book of Mormon is so essential to our investigators. Also, I never read 1st Nephi like the way I was taught on last Tuesday. They said, your investigator is reading 1st Nephi for the 1st time; What are they going to learn? Well, when I broke it down: Faith, God gives us Prophets, God is real, Visions, Revelation, Families are important to God, ETC. ALL IN THE FIRST CHAPTER! I never looked at it like that before and it makes a sweet difference!
This church is true. I know that it is true. Jospeh Smith was a true prophet. This week as well I've learned that it's a pattern in the Book of Mormon (and in Church History too) that before great blessings come there will be trials! That's so amazing to me because well, it seems like there is a trial everyday here! It's a lot different than what I expected. It's amazing, but sometimes, I just get the feeling that I want to leave and go to the field so bad, RIGHT NOW! At least it's a good thing, not really a bad thing, but I hope you get my point. I love you all. Hope that you are doing well. Thanks for the packages and the books and my Book of Mormons! They'll be a big help. Keep sending me letters if y'all want too :) Palanga ninyo sang ko. ( I love y'all)
Love,
Elder Ellis
Laundry, letter writing, and spinning boards on heads!  What missionaries do to pass time on P-day!

Elder Ellis' Halloween costume.

Marking all the Doctrines of Christ scriptures.
P.S My MTC teacher is from Stafford Virginia. He was in the Fredericksburg Stake... His name is Adam Stokes. I don't know if Dad knows anyone from Stafford that was Stokes. He's now a BYU student. Pretty cool guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment