Monday, May 20, 2013

Baptism of Brother Despojo

Dear Family,

Well, this week has been hard with lots of trials and lots of hardships. From climbing mountains and getting punted, to climbing more mountains to getting more punted on the other side of the area. Having zero lessons in 2 of the days this week. Let's just say it's hot here... I"m glad "summer" is almost over. There has been no rain this week so it hasn't cooled off at all. All that's happened is clouds come, then thunder, then lightning, then NO RAIN! So I'm rather upset about that, but it's okay. Only a trial.
 
So I will let you all know the good news right at the start. Bro Despojo was baptized and confirmed yesterday, Sunday. After sacrament he was interviewed for the Aaronic Priesthood and was ordained to the office of a Priest in Priesthood meeting. So that's pretty cool. I baptized him, so that was my first baptism here that I've done. I'll send a picture. It was an amazing experience. After the baptism he bore his testimony and said that he can't wait for the day that he and his family can go to the temple and be sealed. I'm rather excited for that day when they can too.
DSCN2064.JPG
Brother Despojo & his family with Elder Ellis & Edem
 
I want to tell you a funny story about him: So one time this week we went to go visit him and we rode a motorcycle up to his house... on top of the mountain. Then the driver wanted to charge us 60 pesos and I started dying laughing. I asked if he though I was stupid, just because I"m American and he doesn't think I know anything. I said, no Brother, it's only 30. Then Elder Edem, didn't really know so he game him 40. Then we told Brother Despojo what happened and he marches out of his house and going to look for the driver of the motorcycle. He can't find him and starts asking around for where he is. He was going to get us some money back I guess. Just so funny! He's such an awesome guy. I wouldn't mess with him. He's super protective and won't let anything bad happen to his family. I know he has a bit of a rough past, so it's way nice to see him at church and to really feel the spirit and to see him open up to us and to other members.
 
So this week there's not much to say actually. We've tried to do something different. Elder Edem and I were reading in the Preach My Gospel manual during our companionship study and it says that the best thing and the best ally is the ward and the members of the ward. We asked ourselves, how is our relationship with the Branch President and the members. We've decided that we need to work on that and to get the trust and the relationship of the members before the work will really progress. Last Sunday we printed out what's called the CMIS list. It's a list of all the members in the branch with their address attached to it. So we've been trying to figure out who lives where and who is still here in Mabini and who moved to Manila and all this stuff. Who is active and who is less active. So it's been a really interesting week trying to find people and their address. Rather fun, but very tiring.
Hopefully I'll have some more things to say next week. This week was all about the baptism which was super successful and fun and I was so happy. It was about finding members and trying to gain a relationship with them.
 
That pretty much wraps up my week. I don't have much more to say. We're working hard and doing so many new things and trying to find new people to teach. Elder Edem is amazing. And awesome companion and a great missionary. He's super smart and way bonsai at the scriptures and bringing the spirit into lessons. I love my companion.
DSCN2058.JPG
Papaya Tree
I know that the church is true. I know that there are many trials in life and many things happen, but we never know the reason. God does though. That's the only thing that matters. All this week I've asked myself, "where is the blessing?" Now it''s sort of a companionship joke, but it's super funny. Blessings are everywhere, we just have to look for them. I love you all! Keep up the good work back home!

No comments:

Post a Comment