Monday, March 4, 2013

I Love Being a Missionary

Dear Family,

HELLO! I hope that everyone is doing fantastic and that y'all have had an amazing week as I have had. The Philippines is doing well and fantastic as always. I love the people and the culture here. The people are so fun to joke with, only after you understand their humor, especially when they're drunk. The people will tell you anything you want when they're drunk. So we usually get their address and things and then give them a word of wisdom pamphlet. It's honestly so much fun. I never thought I could have this much fun being a missionary. I've always heard it being the best 2 years, but I think I'm starting to get a slight glimpse of the why. This week has been super busy. I feel like every week just get busier and busier. Since I'm training a new missionary we have about 2 hours of additional study the we need to do, but then we just go out and work super hard. It's super super fun and I've never really felt the spirit more in my life.
 
On Monday we had a family home evening at the Mirasol's family. However, it was only Mom, Dad and the Son's wife (live in not married), and she's not a member, so that's 3 people for a family home evening. It was interesting, but the spirit was there and that's the only important thing right? Right. They fed us some really good food too, so that was a pretty good family home evening, even though there was a lack of people.
 
Tuesday we had district meeting which always sets our study schedule back and so we always get out later than we want. Tuesday we only had 3 teachings, which is not what we wanted because we set some pretty high goals for this week' however, we picked up a new investigator and taught her the plan of salvation. There was a woman the had a miscarriage next door to her and it was like a sad time for the neighbors I guess, so Plan of Salvation it was. After this, she asked us to come back! How cool!  Unfortunately, every time we went back this week she was never home, so we're hoping this week is a little better.
 
Wednesday was a really good day. Since our goals were high we were like, man we've better get some teaching done this week. Since our area is so big and we do some much walking, it's hard to get a lot of teachings. Needless to say, this week we've had the highest teachings and key indicators I've had since I've been here on my mission. I was super stoked. Okay, so on Wednesday we found 2 new investigators-- One, Beverly Grace we just talked to and then we asked if we could teach her and she said yes. She's 19 and pregnant, but says she has a husband. (hopefully married, praying so hard that they are) She said we could return! She seems ready and lives pretty close to the church.  Wednesday was a good day. Taught a lot and found some people to teach. Like Preach my Gospel says, there is no work until you have someone to teach, so finding is HUGE and HARD!
 
Thursday was also a really good day. We had a lot of teaching as well. We met a woman named Sister Teresita and we taught her the restoration. Right after the lesson she told us that she wanted to come to church. We're like, SWEET! We actually taught outside her house because... well... she barely has a house. It's like a roof with some sticks around it-- Totally bad situation. She lives in Canetown; however, on Sunday, she was at church! WEEE!!! I love when Investigators come to church. It makes us happy, our President happy, and also the Lord of course,which is why we do everything that we do.
 
Friday we had our weekly planning session, so of course that takes forever and we don't get to really work a lot.  We also went to the SOOOO FARRRR place again. Hda Felicia. However, we met a less active for the 1st time and he was baptized like forever ago. Anyway, we asked him to say the closing prayer after our lesson and in his prayer he was saying that he wishes that he could return to church and please bless him that him and his family can return to church. Elder Matamata had no clue until I explained it to him since he didn't really understand. No new investigators, I don't really want any that far out, it's nearly impossible to get to the church. We walked about 6 miles just to visit these people.
 
On Saturday we visited all our investigators. Well, the ones that were home.  We had a lot of teachings and are so close to all our goals. We gave the Sumatra family a baptismal date, however, they didn't go to church. We did the date for 5 weeks ahead though, so it's all good. If they'll come to church they can still get baptized. The other family that we met out in that area the Malagom family said they don't want us to come back. They said that they are fighting about the gospel and that it's not good to fight. "GANI!" Pero, it was still so funny and I was like, the gospel will bless the both of you and the sister just kept telling me she needs to respect her husband and they're going to stay catholic. So, Oh well.
 
Yesterday, Sunday was fantastic. Sister Teresita went to church and I'm hoping that she had a good experience. It's always hard to tell because they don't tell you everything, but we're going to follow up and make sure that everything was okay. We'll give her a baptismal date this week, probably tomorrow. Also, Ryan's sister, Grace, didn't come to church, but she read the reading assignment we gave her and Ryan said that she said it was good. He said she might come to church next week, so we're hopeful for that.
 
This morning we found woman that will wash our clothes! President changed the rule! Now we only have to wash our garments, which are easy and take like 30 minutes to do. We're really happy about that, so now I won't have sore back for like 3 hours! WEE!
 
I hope that everyone is doing good and obeying! I got 2 packages this week from y'all and from Grandma and Grandpa Ellis. Thanks so much. Thanks Grandma Shirley for the money that is going towards my new scriptures :) Also got a letter from the ward Activity Day girls for Valentines that was forwarded from the MTC. Thanks! Oh and I got 1 dear Elder from Court written on FEB 5.  Letters take forever in this place!
 
I've had a great week and I know that the church is true. I challenge everyone to keep reading the Book of Mormon. It's so amazing. I'm 37 pages away from finishing for the 3rd time on my mission. I'm learning just so many new things. 3rd Nephi is probably the most amazing chapter and Mormon too--just 2 amazing books in the Book of Mormon. Please keep reading it. I know this church is true and the Jospeh Smith was and is a true prophet of God.  I love being a missionary. I never thought it'd be this way. The days are so hard and trying to get people to come closer to Christ is the hardest job I've ever had to do in my life, but I've never had more fun doing something like this. It took a little bit to get to this point, but I'm loving it!
 
I love y'all back home. Keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment