Monday, February 3, 2014

2.2.14 Death by Meeting....but it was all good!


Dear Friends and Family,

Maayong Gabie sa inyo tanan! Since it's night time there, but it's day time here... well morning. How's it going back home? All is well!? Hope you all loved the superbowl! And I'm sure it's still going on, but still going for the Seahaws from across the globe. This week was tons of work, but also tons of meetings, not a huge fan, but it's all good. I know you like it mom because of the pictures :) haha. 

Walked 10 Km for this picture....it was on the way to find new investigators.


We had our district conference this week and Elder Adoro of the 70 came and was the presiding authority. He's from the area 70, so he's is a 70, just a different quorum. He spoke a lot of Tagalog, so hard for us Americans to understand, but it's good because that way the Filipino's understand what he was saying, that's the important part. I understood a lot though, he's a good guy! Way funny and has a great sense of humor. We had meetings on Saturday and Sunday to be attended. On Saturday it was an adult session and Elder Lenoy and I were actually called on to present a tithing lesson. It was FANTASTIC! We heard from the members from the district all weekend how good it was. We were funny, but super spiritual and got the point across about how important paying tithing is. On Sunday I got to see all the members from Mabini and they were like flippin out and telling me how much they miss me. If you remember Shena? I don't know if you do, she's the young woman that was baptized right after I transferred from Mabini. She was at the conference so we were able to talk. Still super active and doing great! She's cool. The Mabini members were funny and just like, Elder we miss you, and they wanted Elder Lenoy and I to come to their house and eat, which we can't, but I really want to. I miss some of the people there. That was a rough area, but looking back, that's what made me the missionary that I am because I went to that area. I learned so much.
Elder Ellis & President Lopez



Escalante District



We had a mission president training on Wednesday, which was actually mostly the missionaries training each other. Each of the companionship's demonstrated teaching a commandment and then we all did an evaluation. We also had interviews with President and I asked him if I can be considered as a trainer next transfer if possible, he said yes you can train, but I don't know when. So I guess we will see.   I really want to train again since the first time didn't go to well, so I think I will do better this time. I want to train in a Cebuano area because I'm a lot better at Cebuano than I am at Ilanggo. So I guess we will see what revelation President receives on transfer day. Praying that I get my prayer answered... haha. Just pray for me too. Thanks!

Elder Ellis & Lenoy
Mission President Training
So this week we found out that our investigator, Sister Melanie Abarido, isn't married to her husband. However, not a bad thing, no worries. So she had a previous husband and then they split, but now she's been with the current husband for 10 years. Since there's no divorce in the Philippines, President just needed to interview her so he did after the district conference on Sunday and she passed. So she will be baptized in a few weeks. We're still working on the date, depends on church and how we feel. I want to make sure these people stay in the church, not just baptize them and then they go less active. Seems to happen to often than not on this island... But she and her family is doing great. Only her son comes to church with her, not the daughter, so those 2 might be baptized first and then her daughter later. 

Analou has recovered somewhat and she came to church yesterday and was interviewed by our district leader and he gave her the go ahead! So we're good to baptize her and so she will be immersed in the waters this Saturday! STOKED! She's a way cool investigator and super strong. Hopefully stays strong, but it'll depends on the branch fellow shipping her! 

We've found a great new investigators this week! At family home evening last Monday at the Claur Family we met her. Her name is Vivian! She's 20 years old is like their house help. The dad is working abroad and the mom works too, so Vivian just stays with the kids and cleans and cooks and all that kinda stuff. Like a maid almost... but it's not proper to call them that here. They're called, Domestic Helper. She's way cool and we taught her 3 lessons this week. 1 was at family home evening and I think she had a blast too. The Claur family is super great and funny! Sister Claur is the Sister in law of Brother Despojo, who I baptized in Mabini. Weird huh? haha. I actually knew them before I transferred here in Escalnte. So Vivian has a great fellowshipper in the branch, a whole family, and she came to district conference and said that she had a good time, so I hope she did! We will teach her again tomorrow we're thinking. It'll be about the Plan of Salvation, the best lesson, but the hardest to get the Filipino to really step back and look at the big picture. So we're excited. We haven't challenged to baptism yet, but we will tomorrow and set a date for March sometime! :) WHOOO! Hoping and Praying! She reads her assignments and she knows how to pray, just a little shy to pray, but will on Tuesday! Promise! So we're super happy for her. 

MarryBe and the Buenavista family all didn't come to church on Sunday. The mom is in Bacolod and will return sometime this week and the kids were worried that they couldn't go to church because they didn't have their fare to pay the motor, so that's probably why they didn't come, we don't know. We'll check up on them tomorrow and see what's going on. 

This week, not much happened. We had a lot of preparation for meetings and things to do this week so not much happened. I will have exchanges with our district leader this week... Elder Stead. He's an American, so I'm super excited! He's a cool kid. He's from Tacloban mission. I have heard a lot of them are going back to Tacloban, but none from my zone as far as I know. Sister Ralph is still here, but that just means they'll go soon. That will make for some interesting emergency transfers in the near future... 

Sorry for the short email this week. I think I've out of things to say. Everything is going okay I guess though. I'm still trying to do my best with my companion. Still hard, but that's life. I guess there's a reason that I"m with him. He's a good guy though, most of the time. 
Branch Missionary
Digging a burial site


I love y'all and I miss you back home! I hope all is well again! Let's kick off the new week and congrats to the Seahawks! (No I didn't watch the game). Thanks for all the help and prayers you send here to me. They are much needed! Have a great week!

Your Friend in the Faith, 
Elder Ellis

No comments:

Post a Comment